Improvements in Jagannatha Hora 7.5
Download JHora 7.5 with SSS now!
2011 February 9
On this auspicious day of Ratha Saptami (birthday of Sun god), I am pleased to announce the release of Jagannatha Hora 7.5 software supporting Sri Surya Siddhanta (SSS) for planetary calculations (in addition to the option of using drik siddhanta). I am enclosing a list of changes from 7.4 to 7.5 below.
Please spread the word. I hope the new features will be found useful by the world Jyotish community. This is the most robust and most feature-rich JHora ever, not to speak of the newly added SSS support!
You can download it from
http://tinyurl.com/jhorasw (tinyurl dot com slash jhorasw)
Note: Those who have 7.3 or later versions should kindly download only the UPDATE, which is less than 1 MB in size. Please do not download the short/full/fullest versions and download only the update, to save bandwidth. The update file, though less than 1 MB, is enough to get all the new features completely.
For any questions on the installation and use of JHora software, please join and post in "jhora" yahoogroup.
Free Jyotish Software, Free Jyotish Lessons, Jyotish Writings,
"Do It Yourself" ritual manuals for short Homam and Pitri Tarpana:
Films that make a difference: http://SaraswatiFilms.org
Jyotish writings: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JyotishWritings
Changes from 7.4 to 7.5:
(1) The option to calculate the longitudes of planets and lagna based on "Sri Surya Siddhanta (SSS) - generalized Makaranda version" is added now (thanks to Sri Vinay Jha for the algorithms). This includes Sri Surya Siddhanta ayanamsa. Different siddhantas (SSS vs drik) and different ayanamsas can be mixed and matched.
Some people believe that only SSS should be used in astrology and not drik siddhanta. SSS is an analytical model used by ancient Indian astrologers and used by many traditional Indian astrologers upto recent times. SSS is said to calculate the positions of the subtle bodies of grahas, which are essentially ethereal beings associated with planets, who grasp our consciousness and affect our lives.
Some people use SSS without beeja samskara following a modern western commentary on SSS, and some people use it with traditional beeja samskara methods from ancient and medieval times, among which the most ancient extant source is Makaranda Table. This software implements generalized formulas for Makaranda version converted into siddhantic mode so as to be correct for all eras. The same generalized formulas are used by many panchangas. Some examples are given below:
- Aadityavaahini Panchaangam published by Sri Shankaracharya's Govardhana Matha at Sri Jagannatha Puri, India
- Aaditya Panchaangam (Varanasi, India)
- Sanskrit Academy Panchaangam published by Bihar Rajya Sanskrit Academy (HRD Ministry of Govt of Bihar, India)
- Surya Panchaangam (Raipur, Chhattisgarh, India)
- Prayaagraaja Panchaangam (Allahabad, India)
- Mithilaa Panchaangam (Darbhanga, India)
- Parmaartha Panchaangam (Mainpuri, Uttar Pradesh, India)
- Paaraankusha Panchaangam (Gaya, Bihar, India)
(2) The option to cast a generic sub-divisional chart D-mxn (or D-m x D-n) was added. A divisional chart D-m (e.g. D-9, D-10, D-12, D-16, D-20, D-24 etc) is taken as the rasi chart and it is further divided into D-n (e.g. D-9, D-10, D-12 D-16, D-30 etc). As just one specific example, you can take D-10 as rasi chart and find D-9 in it. It is represented as D-10xD-9 or just D-10x9.
(3) The option to cast a generic custom divisional chart D-N was added, with any N between 1 and 300. Cyclical charts, as well as non-cyclical charts with several structures are supported. Either Aries or the sign in which divisions are being found can be used as the base for mapping divisions. Divisions can be mapped to N signs starting from
- the base itself,
- from 1st/7th or 1st/9th or 1st/5th or 1st/11th or 1st/3rd from base (if sign is odd/even)
- from 1st/5th/9th or 1st/9th/5th from base (if sign is movable/fixed/dual)
- from 1st/4th/7th/10th or 1st/10th/7th/4th from base (if sign is fiery/earthy/airy/watery)
The divisions in even signs can be counted from the end of the sign if desired (e.g. as in uniform Krishna Mishra navamsa, i.e. 9 divisions of Ta are mapped to Vi, Le, ..., Aq, Cp, instead of the regular zodiacal order Cp, Aq, ..., Le, Vi).
This flexible configuration allows one to define and experiment with several customized divisional chart options not mentioned specifically by Parasara. There may be some divisional chart variations not mentioned by Parasara that throw light on specific areas of life.
(4) When true Chitrapaksha ayanamsa is used with 360-deg solar years, calculations of antardasas and below were incorrect in some corner cases. It is fixed now.
(5) A new bottom tab called "Longitude correlation" was added in "Transits" tab for facilitating research into fine longitude correlations of transit positions and natal divisional positions.
(6) Classification of time based on Gouri panchanga (or choghadiya) was added.
(7) Longitude based arudha padas in divisional charts can now be computed using rasi chart longitudes of planets or using divisional longitudes.
(8) Sahamas were earlier computed incorrectly when one changed time using the time adjustment toolbar. It is fixed now.
(9) The Tajaka charts shown by JHora were inaccurate if (and only if) "mean solar motion" option is used (as opposed to "exact solar motion"). JHora was using tropical mean solar motion and not sidereal mean solar motion. It is fixed now.
(10) When birthtime is adjusted using the toolbar, derived charts such as Tajaka and Tithi Pravesha charts are now adjusted for the new time.
(11) Planetary aspect evaluation now gives aspects on various houses from planets.
(12) Several issues related to replacing lagna with prasna lagna based on the chosen number were fixed.
(13) In period entry charts, clicking a planet to see its relationships and when it changes sign was misbehaving. The planet next to the one clicked was being used. It is is fixed now.
(14) A toolbar is added to change transit time used in various views.
(15) When charts are saved and re-opened, seconds in birthtime used to change by a small fraction of a second. This is fixed.